Glucose Tolerance Testing
- The Ferrell Hospital Laboratory offers timed testing. This test requires fasting and can take last several hours. Because of this, we suggest you plan to arrive at the laboratory prior to noon on testing day. There is no need to schedule an appointment unless a Sunday test is required.
Accessing Test Results
- Some medical providers require patients to fast prior to their blood work. If your provider has requested you to fast you will not eat or drink anything (except water) 8-12 hours prior to lab testing. Check with your provider if you are uncertain about the need to fast.
- The laboratory cannot interpret test results or release them to patients. Results are sent to the provider who ordered the test immediately upon completion. Test results can be obtained by contacting your provider. In addition, many test results can be viewed on MyChart.
- The laboratory is located inside Ferrell Hospital at 1201 Pine Street in Eldorado.
- The laboratory is staffed 24-hours per day, seven days per week. If you need laboratory services outside of these times, please call us in advance and we will do our best to accommodate your scheduling needs.
- Outpatient Lab Hours: Monday - Friday 6 AM to 7 PM, Saturday - Sunday 7 AM to 5 PM and Holidays 7 AM to 2 PM.
Understanding Your Tests
- No appointment is necessary for routine testing.
- If you need a testing time outside regular hours, please call us at 618-297-9602.
Your provider will consider your age, gender, and race as well as what you eat and drink and what medicines you take. It is important to follow pre-test instructions and to talk with your provider about your results.
Laboratory tests may be done for many reasons
- Routine health screenings
- If a disease or toxicity is suspected
- To determine if a medical condition is improving or worsening
- To measure the success or failure of a medication
- Be ordered for professional or legal reasons
Due to changes in the way your body naturally functions through the course of a day, lab tests may need to be performed at a certain time of day. If you have prepared for a test by changing your food or fluid intake, lab tests may be timed in accordance with those changes.
Timing of tests may be based on increased and decreased levels of medications, drugs or other substances in the body.
- You will need to verify your insurance with the Patient Registration staff at each visit.
- We will ask you for a lab order which should include a diagnosis (ICD-10 code) and should be signed by the ordering provider. Please be aware that we cannot perform ANY lab tests without a signed order. Occasionally, your provider may call or fax a lab order. These are kept in our files until you arrive.
- For certain tests, we may ask if you have been fasting. Please verify with your provider if fasting is required before having the test done.
- Ask your provider if you should change your medication routine before having laboratory testing.
- Medicare patients may be asked to sign a waiver accepting financial responsibility if the diagnosis provided does not cover the tests being ordered.
- Some insurance companies require the use of specific laboratories. Please confirm in advance if the Ferrell Hospital laboratory will be covered at the in-network level.
if you have additional questions or call 618-297-9602